Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hieroglyphics Trail

A few days after returning from the Wind Cave Trail and the family recovered a bit I was able to convince them that we should go hiking again the following week (on the 24th of January). During the week we went and got the kids some Camelbacks (camouflage of course) and tried to get some hiking boots for the girls, but couldn't find any in Kayla's size.

Angie had mentioned the Hieroglyphics trail as another trail that the kids could probably do and wouldn't be too painful for us adults either. Unfortunately on the morning of the hike Jenny wasn't feeling well and had to stay behind. I was contemplating leaving Blake with her, but knew he would love it so I dragged him along. I also figured I could use more exercise to get rid of my gut.

So off we went, relatively early Saturday morning (8:30 is early, isn't it?) out to the trailhead. We were using my bosses book (60 Hikes within 60 miles of Phoenix: http://www.amazon.com/Hikes-within-Miles-Including-Scottsdale/dp/0897325931) but you can also find some good information here:
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=61

Blake was excited to get back in the backpack, he was pretty excited to be getting outside. It had rained the night before and was still pretty overcast for the whole hike.


Here are the Owensby's with Kayla and Elizabeth at the trailhead.

Taking a break. Kayla can only take so much before needing a rest and Blake was getting restless in the backpack.

Nice glamor shot of Elizabeth in front of the Superstitions :-).

Here we are up near the petroglyphs. Yes, that's right, no hieroglyphics on Hieroglyphic trail, what a shame. It would be a long way for the Egyptians to come just to make some wall art though.


Blake and I near a snake, we thought he was pretty cool.



Nice shot of the Owensby's and my girls near a pool of water.


Elizabeth and some holes used to grind grains I think. Not sure what they are called and I'm too lazy to look right now.

Ahh, the Dutton clan, or most of us anyway. It was a beautiful morning but a little muggy.


I had to get a shot of my cutie Kayla on the way out. Elizabeth ran off with Angie for a much needed bathroom break.

No comments: